bourbon and rye the old fashioned way
What is more quintessential of a whiskey cocktail than an Old Fashioned drink? Arguably, the definition of a cocktail (spirits, bitters, sugar and water), the old fashioned has experienced a resurgence in recent years. We serve this traditional whiskey drink at the Wigle Distillery located in Pittsburgh’s Strip District without muddled slices of orange and cherries, though many people enjoy the fruited versions of this cocktail. Here at Wigle Whiskey we like to concoct flavor filled old fashioned recipes featuring smoked bourbon or even our maple bourbon barrel aged whiskey! However, the sky’s the limit when our bartenders are dreaming up new and innovative spirits and flavored simple syrups to add to our old fashioned recipe. An old fashioned classic recipe often calls for a sugar cube instead of simple syrup. however we find that the final outcome of a less sweet old fashioned with the substitution of simple syrup to be more pleasing.
What’s the best bourbon for old fashioned cocktails? Our bartenders reach for our classic PA Straight Bourbon for its classic robust flavor and notes of caramel, vanilla and toasted oat. If you’re looking for something a little extra flavorful, try Smoked Bourbon. A smoked bourbon old fashioned is a treat and is also easily achievable with Wigle’s Smoked Bourbon! Create a perfectly mixed old fashioned full of smoked oak flavor without smoking up your kitchen!
Looking for the Best Whiskey for an Old Fashioned Cocktail?
Need help deciding what spirit to use for your Old Fashioned Cocktail? An earthy Rye Whiskey is by far the classic. Our PA Straight Rye Whiskey fits the bill perfectly! With tasting notes of cherry, stone fruit, vanilla, black pepper our straight rye whiskey is the perfect addition for those seeking spicy robust old fashioned. Want to experience the sweeter side of an old fashioned drink? Maple old fashioned cocktails are a wonderful take on the classic drink that adds just a touch of natural sweetness. We mix our maple old fashioned with Wigle Northern Exposure or Phil’s Shadow. Both spirits are finished in used maple syrup casks. Other Old Fashioned Ingredients our bartenders love are brandy, and maple finished spirits. To mix A Brandy Old Fashioned, simply replace the whiskey with your favorite brandy. We use Wigle 5 Year Apple Brandy or Peach Brandy.
how to mix
- In a rocks glass add Whiskey, Simple Syrup + Bitters.
- Stir until combined, 10-15 seconds.
- Add one large ice cube.
- Garnish with an orange peel.
looking for more Wigle whiskey cocktails recipes?
- The Smoked Bourbon S’more Cocktail Awaits!
- The Best Whiskey Eggnog Cocktail
- Campfire Scotch Cocktail Recipe
- What Better way to Enjoy a Lindt Chocolate Bunny Than With This Sweet Alternative to an Espresso Martini!
- The Perfect Cinnamon Whiskey Hot Toddy
- Wigle’s 3 Favorite Ways to Make an Old Fashioned Drink
- A Fresh Squeezed Take On The Classic Whiskey Sour Cocktail
- Simple Peach Cocktail Recipe You Can Make At Home!
- Tired of the Typical Fireball Cocktail? Spice Things Up with Wigle Cinnamon Whiskey Punch!
- Rethink Your Manhattan Drink With This Locally Crafted Cocktail